Humble Games and Bounding Box Software have announced that Prodeus, their old-school blood-pumping shooter, is leaving Early Access next week. Y coming to Switch.
On September 23, you’ll be able to load up your guns and dress up in this awesome retro-style shooter that combines gorgeous pixel art, old-school rendering, and modern 3D technology. Created by Michael Voeller and Jason Mojica, who have a combined 25 years of experience in the FPS genre, and with music by Andrew Hulsh (composer at DOOM Eternal: The Old Gods, DarknessY in the midst of evil), it feels like the retro shooter we’ve been waiting for.
Prodeus has been in Early Access for almost two years, and in that time, the game has been very well received by fans. And while the console versions won’t be able to create their own levels, they’ll still be able to play the game in four-player co-op or dive into 16-player Deathmatches.
Here’s what you need to know about the game from publisher Humble Games:
prodeo is a first-person shooter from days gone by, reimagined using modern rendering techniques and technology. Experience the quality you’d expect from a modern AAA game, designed with a retro aesthetic and gameplay that invokes the limits imposed by older hardware technology.
The game features a campaign crafted by industry FPS veterans, cooperative and competitive multiplayer gameplay based on classic modes, a fully integrated level editor*, and a built-in community map browser for instant action with nearly unlimited levels to play.
Get ready to paint the walls. red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.
1. RETRO LOOK, MODERN ERA – Shooter games from the past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D technology with retro visuals. Experience exaggerated lo-fi pixel explosions and high-tech particle effects as you take on the Prodeans and the forces of Chaos.
2. PURE RETRO FPS MAYHEM – Get ready for fast and frenetic non-stop action. Battle your way through hordes of chaos-spawned creatures using an arsenal of classically over-the-top weapons.
3. RED RAIN – Splatter the steel walls and alien corridors with the blood of your enemies. Experience the gory thrills of older shooters, scored up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’ deliciously insane dismemberment system.
4. LEVELS CREATED BY THE COMMUNITY – Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’ powerful yet easy-to-use level editor*, and keep visceral combat fresh with a built-in browser packed with community-created maps..
5. MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM – Form teams and go head-to-head in a variety of multiplayer modes. Take on the campaign in 4-player co-op and jump into the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF and more, then take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes.
6. FRAG THE MUSIC – Burst blood vessels as you listen to a supercharged metal soundtrack by retro FPS composer Andrew Hulshult (DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, Amid Evil) that dynamically changes gears to accompany your actions.
*Available only in the PC version
You only have to wait a week until you can get your hands on Prodeus, as the game launches on September 23 on Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series X|S, and PC. And it will also be on Game Pass on launch day!
What do you think of the look of Prodeus? Are you going to grab this next week? Let us know!