When former San Francisco Mayor Ephraim William Burr wanted to give his son a wedding gift, he did it in a big way. He chose one of the largest parcels of land available in the city and enlisted Edmund M. Wharf to design a large Victorian Italianate house on the still largely rural land known as Cow Hollow.
In the 1870s, there were still about 30 dairies in the area, hence the neighborhood’s nickname, but the land was rapidly being transformed into housing for the city’s elite. 1772 Vallejo it became the home of Edmond Burr and his girlfriend, Anna Barnard, in 1875. It remained within the family for almost 100 years as a home for their daughters before passing to new owners, and has only been in the hands of a few families since then. . Now, it’s on the market for $12.9 million.